I struggled installing Private Internet Access’ vpn in Kali a few different times using their Linux installer, and decided to share the super-simple way I got it to work.
- Make sure you have your /etc/apt/sources.list file populated with the correct values. These are the ones I used
deb https://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free deb-src https://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
apt-get install network-manager network-manager-openvpn network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn-gnome
- edit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and set managed=true (in the [ifupdown] section)
shutdown -r now
- Open NetworkManager and create a new VPN connection
- Hit the + and select “Import from file”.
- Clear the :1198 from the gateway.
- Click the Advanced button and change the default port from 1194 to 1198
- Put enter your username/password & click ‘Add’